In March 1944 the advancing Russians had encircled Kovel with
four divisions. The city was declared a "Fester Platz", which meant that it had to be defended to the
last man, a common German practice in the last stage of the war. The commander of the 5. SS
Panzerdivision “Wiking”, Gruppenführer Herbert Gille flew into the beleaguered city to set up his
divisonal Command Post. Knowing that the way was blocked by fields of mud and dug-in Russian
defenders, his plan was as simple as risky. The Panther tanks of
his "Wiking" Division and the 131. Infanterie Division would
break the encirclement and reopen the city of Kovel. The first target during the relief of Kovel was the small
town of Czerkasy and it’s railway station. Together with some 30
volunteers from the "Wiking", pioneers and soldiers of the 131.
Infanterie Division, Obersturmbannführer Nicolussi-Leck, CO of the
8. Kompanie, and his Panthers started the attack. . . . The Russians have variable reinforcements in this one, 3-6 tanks, an AT gun and/or some AT mines.
Attacker: German (SS) (5th SS Panzer Division / 131 Infanterie Division)