Walter Toebbens, a leading German industrialist and major “employer” of the “productive Jews” of Warsaw, was brought from Berlin to solve the Nazis’ difficulties by “peaceful means”. He was to convince the Jewish civic and religious leaders to surrender their followers for “re-settlement”. Instead, Toebbens decided to take the opportunity to move his shops – lock, stock and workers – out of the doomed Ghetto. Appeals and lies brought about 250 of his 1600 laborers to the site of the Schultz & Schilling Brush Works on Shwentoyerska Street. Here they, along with the tools and goods of the factory, were loaded onto a convoy of trucks. Near noon, the convoy moved off, with a single aged armored car in the lead, under the guard of the despised Vernichtung – anti-Semetic Latvian, Lithuanian and Ukrainian volunteers under SS command. The trucks were bound by a circuitous route for the rail station at Umschlagplatz. Within minutes, however, a commando from the Paole Zion group ambushed the convoy.