Summer 1944 found the German south-east front with its back against the Balkans. On the 20th of August the Russian steamroller opened up again, with the Jassy-Kishinev offensive, pushing into Romanian soil. This was the signal for the Romanians to finally end their steadily deteriorating alliance with the Germans. On August 23, the switch of sides was officially proclaimed. The Romanian Army immediately seized the opportunity to mop up the 800 German strongpoints throughout the country. One such strongpoint was the German military air mission in Bucharest. At 4:30 a.m. on the 24th, elements of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment were ordered to seize the building.
Attacker: Romanian / Partisan (Elements 2nd Cavalry Regt & variable popular support)
Defender: German (Rear echelon elements, Luftflotte 5)